Along with the week that we actually designed our webpage, this week was one of my favorite weeks because we learned how to assess the landing page that is placed in our advertisements. Using the statistics given in Google Adwords, we can evaluate what needs to be changed in order to bring more views and purchases.
In order for a landing page to be successful, it is important to ask if the landing page shows what is promised in the advertisement. If someone clicks on the ad and doesn’t see what they are looking for easily, then they will leave the page quickly. This is known as the bounce rate. A landing page needs to be visually appealing, but also needs to be usable by the viewer.
Here are a few articles that I used to help evaluate my own landing page:
The next thing we learned about was the basics of Search Engine Optimization (SEO). Before this week, I didn’t really understand exactly what SEO was, or how to implement it. This video really helped me to understand what it is and what changes can be made to my webpage to increase traffic:
While learning about SEO and creating a successful landing page, I was able to come up with a few things that could be changed in order to make my website better. I used this article to base my answers off of:
https://moz.com/blog/visual-guide-to-keyword-targeting-onpage-optimization (The first graphic is very helpful!)
1. Text, images, and multimedia are remarkable: My images are not the best right now because they are temporary images that my friend who makes the jewelry for the company took on her phone. This is one of the most important things that I need to update because it makes the page seem less appealing.
2. The page loads quickly: It takes a lot longer for the first image that appears on the homepage to load than the rest of the content because it is such a large file. I need to either resize the file or choose a different image that will work better for the page.
3. Primary keyword phrase is the first words of the title element: I don’t know what the title of my webpage is right now. I need to figure out how to use HTML to change the title for my site however, I don’t think that Wix allows me to do this. I will need to find an alternative way so that search engines can read my sites title and show up in search results.
4. Mobile friendly: My website takes longer to load on a mobile device and the content isn’t arranged the way that I want it to be. I need to take the time to make my website mobile friendly especially because all of the people who have clicked on my link have come from a mobile device.
5. Primary keyword is found in the body content two times: I don’t have much body content on my page right now but I know that I need to add content so that my website will appear more in search engines.