The purpose of this project was to create a spiritual message by blending two images together.
- The first thing I did was search for a scripture that I could use to convey a strong spiritual message. I prayed before I searched so that I might find something that could touch others through my design and uplift them. As I was looking through my scriptures, the lyrics of the hymn “How Firm a Foundation” kept coming to my mind so I felt that I should use the quote “Fear not, I am with thee” which is from the scripture Isaiah 41:10.
- Next, I went to unsplash.com to search for a good picture to use for my background image. I searched the word faith and found many great images by one photographer but used this photo of the boy laughing and reading scriptures.
- I opened this image up in photoshop and added the filters unsharp mask, and lens flare. I also used the levels and color selection adjustments to take away the orange tint that was on the boy.
- I placed the image of Jesus over the top and sized it so that he was proportionate to the boy. I added a mask to the layer and used a black paintbrush to remove the parts of the photo that I didn’t need. I also decreased the opacity to add a nice effect of the Savior being there with the boy in spirit, but not there physically.
- After I had both images placed correctly I used the color selection tool to grab an orange and blue from the boy’s shirt and placed the text in the right hand side.
I was critiqued by Christine Winward, Mckenzie Farnsworth, Kevin Carroll, Kylee Priest, and Caroline Webster. A lot of the comments were very positive which made me confident in the design! A suggestion was to focus/sharpen the boy’s face which I did using the sharpen tool. I also received the suggestion to put a box around my text but I thought that it looked better leaving it the way it was. I received critique from Brother Holladay to work on making the outlines of the image of Jesus a little more, especially the his hands and hair. I also received my face-to-face critique from my husband who told me to remove the small gap between the boy and Jesus which was difficult to do, but it ended up looking really great!
The overall message is to help the viewer to understand that we are never alone in this life and that the Savior, Jesus Christ, is always there for us to comfort us and to give us joy even in the most difficult circumstances. We are especially comforted by the Savior when we open the scriptures.
Anyone who needs a spiritual boost.
Top thing learned:
Prayer is essential and helps with anything, including help with creating a design. I felt I was led by the spirit while making this montage.
Complementary// Orange and Blue
Title Font Name and Category:
Beyond the Mountains// Script
Body Copy Font Name and Category:
Century Schoolbook// Serif
Thumbnails of any original, unedited images used in the project:
Source of Images: