Description: The purpose of this project was to create a Prezi presentation that follows the guidelines of creating effective slide design.
Process (Programs, Tools, Skills, FOCUS principles):
I had never used Prezi until I started this assignment. There were many challenges that I faced with Prezi and I found that there are a lot of limitations on what you can do to make it look good.
- I began by brainstorming ideas of what I could write about. I used textures.com for inspiration on what I wanted my project to look like. After viewing several textures, I decided to create something that looked like a travel journal.
- I started to sketch my ideas on a piece of paper and came up with one main idea that I wanted to use.
- I inserted the picture of the journal that I had found on textures.com into the background but realized that the image was too small to fill the background. I ended up choosing another photo to use as the background image from unsplash.com which filled up the background much better.
- Next, I added in my title and the rest of the 10 tips along with the images I used that were provided by Prezi.
- I then created the order that I wanted the information to be viewed in. This was the step that took the longest because of the way the Prezi cropped the frames. I was very confused by it all but somehow made it work.
- I added some music to the background to add some interest to the presentation.
I critiqued the drafts of Lindsay Handley and Timothy Wells. I received comments from Missy Holland, Anne Law, and Lindsay Handley but did not receive any critique from them. I did however receive very helpful critiques from Brother Holladay. He suggested that I include some body copy into my presentation to add another contrasting font. I added some extra words to each tip. He also suggested that I try and fill the frame with my background image. Again, I struggled with doing this because of the way Prezi crops each image. Another suggestion was to have each tip appear right away and that I change the color of the font to a black to match my images. I had my husband Joel also critique my presentation. He told me that I should increase the size of the body copy and on tip #4 to add body copy on both sides of the compass. Overall I was very grateful for the critiques because I was struggling with Prezi.
Message: The message of this presentation is to give helpful tips for those planning to travel.
Audience: My audience is younger 20-somethings who can still go on spontaneous trips.
Top Thing Learned:
One of the biggest things I learned was to have patience when using Prezi and to not give up. I think it was a good lesson to learn because in the future, I will have clients or bosses ask me to use programs or do things that I am not used to doing but I need to adapt to their needs and get the result that they want.
Color scheme and color names:
Tan/brown-Monochromatic with black and white
Title Font Name & Category:
From Where You Are// Decorative
Body Copy Font Name & Category:
Thumbnails of any original, unedited image used in the project:
Source of each image (website name and hyper link):